Tuesday Tip – How Do You Define Behavior Problems?
Here are some descriptions that people would classify as behavior problems:
1. When a student’s behavior is causing injury or harm to himself or others
2. When a student’s behavior prevents him from participating effectively in his life routines
3. When an individual uses behavior as an inappropriate or ineffective means of communicating
4. When he is engaging in behaviors or activities that are different from what is expected from him because of age, ability level, location, event, or activity
5. When she is not following or complying with the rules, routines, or expectations of specific occasions or environments
6. When the student is not performing skills or engaging in actions or interactions effectively
7. When the individual is not performing his life routines at the level of independence expected for his age and ability level
8. When a student does anything that calls attention to himself, making him significantly different from his peers
Accurately describing a behavior problem is the first step toward solving it.