Visual Strategies for Improving Communication
Practical Supports for Autism Spectrum Disorders
By Linda Hodgdon, M.Ed., CCC-SLP
Revised & Updated
BUY NOW! – $39.95
This Revised & Updated edition of this bestseller is the most comprehensive book to explain the use of visual strategies to improve communication for students with Autism Spectrum Disorders and others who experience moderate to severe communication challenges. It is full of easy to use techniques and strategies that will help these students participate more effectively in social interactions and life routines.
This update includes additions in four major areas that have evolved since the original version was published. First, we have even more research that confirms the specific learning challenges common to students with ASD and how visual supports provide benefit for those students.
Second, we continue to discover even more ways to use visual tools and supports to help students become successful. This volume will help the reader discover even more possibilities for implementing visual strategies.
In this edition you’ll find some updated resources including technology, video and picture options. Since the original edition, the use of visual supports has been met with questions, myths and the sharing of personal experiences. Many of these have been added to this edition to demonstrate how the use of visual tools and supports has matured over time to reach the status of “best practices”, while maintaining the basic principles laid out in the original book.
What is it?
- A groundbreaking resource
- Contains dozens of samples of visual supports that are beautifully illustrated and described
- An exceptional collection of practical ideas and techniques
- Filled with creative strategies for improving the behavior and communication of students with autism, ADHD, cognitive impairments, language and learning disabilities and more.
- A “how to” book designed to assist teachers, SLP’s, parents, and others in devising solutions to the communication and self-management challenges that are common in these students
Who is this book for?
Teachers, Speech-Language Pathologists, parents and other people who work and live with students with Autism Spectrum Disorders or related communication challenges. The strategies in this book have application for students with a variety of disability labels and special needs.
How will I benefit from the book?
- Learn more about the learning and functioning style of these students
- Understand how communication break-downs affect student understanding, performance and behavior
- View lots of samples and examples of visual tools that have been used to improve student communication
- Learn step-by-step how to develop and use visual tools to meet the individual needs of your students
. . . plus lots of ideas for improving communication in home, school, and community environments
This book is “easy-reading”. It is laid out with a question-answer format that is not full of the heavy technical jargon that is common in so many books on special needs. It has rapidly become a bestseller because it has met the needs of thousands of therapists, classroom teachers, parents and others who work or live with students with autism, autism spectrum disorders, Asperger’s Syndrome and related communication disorders. Visual Strategies for Improving Communication is the most comprehensive book available on the topic of using visual supports to improve communication for these student populations.
Barry M. Prizant, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, Director, Childhood Communication Services, Brown University
Kathleen S. Pistono, Ph.D., Speech & Language Consultant
Carol Gray, Director, Gray Center for Social Learning & Understanding, Creator of Social Stories™, Author: The New Social Story™ Book
Diane Twachtman-Cullen, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, Executive Director, Autism & Developmental Disabilities Consultation Center
About the Author:
Linda Hodgdon, M.Ed., CCC-SLP is a Speech-Language Pathologist who is internationally known as a pioneer in developing the use of visual strategies to support communication for students with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Linda is a powerful and entertaining presenter who speaks internationally on topics related to helping individuals with ASD improve communication.
Visual Strategies For Improving Communication
Revised & Updated
BUY NOW! – $39.95